Covid 19 PromoPicture of our contact detailss

Business Advice

Although there are changes, current national restriction rules are still in place, and must be followed until they expire. Officers will continue to monitor compliance.

The GOV.UK website has up-to-date information on current restrictions and how to comply with them here:

Coronavirus restrictions: what you can and cannot do

You can also read our recent advice for businesses reopening from 12 April 2021

Covid Testing for Businesses and Communities

Please follow the link if you are looking to arrange Lateral Flow Testing.

Sector Specific Guidance

Guidance can be found at the website: Working safely during coronavirus/covid-19

This is the latest Government guidance on Test and Trace:
Public asked to leave a name and number with venues to help stop the spread of covid-19
Maintaining records of staff, customers and visitors to support NHS Test and Trace

Village Halls and Community Centres are now able to open. The Government strongly advises against such venues being used for indoor fitness and sport activity. Guidance for this sector is available : Guidance for the safe use of multi-purpose community facilities

Public Health England (PHE) have a range of useful posters on Test and Trace for display in various settings. These downloadable posters are available towards the bottom of the linked page: Reporting an outbreak/resources


For the latest updates on the impact of coronavirus on our licensing services, go to Covid-19 Impacts on Licensing.

Food and Drink

Food safety inspections were suspended by the Food Standards Agency between March and June. Now that food businesses are permitted to re-open on 4 July, from mid July we will be undertaking a risk based programme of inspections, some of which may be done by remote contact. We will continue to investigate serious complaints relating to food safety or food poisoning. Environmental Health also remain responsible for enforcing Coronavirus Regulations relating to continuing closures of some sectors and monitoring Covid Safe requirements in the food and drink sector.

The Food Standards Agency (FSA) has now issued guidance for food businesses.  You can find this at:
Covid 19 guidance for food businesses

UK Hospitality have also published detailed guidance for the whole sector to support government advice:
Covid-19 secure guidelines

Follow the link for further guidance from the Food Standards Agency on re-opening food businesses (including a checklist)

The Government guidance document Keeping workers and customers safe during COVID-19 in restaurants, pubs, bars and takeaways has been updated, stating “Venues should take account of the performing arts guidance in organising outdoor performances. Singing and wind and brass playing should be limited to professional contexts only.”
At the heart of this guidance is the need to prevent the spread of COVID-19. All venues should ensure that steps are taken to avoid people needing to unduly raise their voices to each other. This includes, but is not limited to, refraining from playing music or broadcasts that may encourage shouting, including if played at a volume that makes normal conversation difficult. This is because of the potential for increased risk of transmission, particularly from aerosol transmission.
Indoor gatherings should only be occurring in groups of up to 2 households (including support bubbles) while outdoor gatherings should only be occurring in groups of up to 2 households (or support bubbles ), or a group of at most 6 people from any number of households.
If a business  is intending to provide live music in their beer garden to a group of more than 30 people, then they are required to undertake a suitable and sufficient risk assessment as per Regulation 3 of the Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999, whether or not the gathering organiser is subject to those regulations . The organiser must also take all reasonable measures to implement the controls  determined by their risk assessment to limit the risk of transmission of the coronavirus.
Such controls may include one-way systems, table seating and ordering, handwash and or sanitising facilities, adequate separation distances, managing capacity, providing music that does not encourage singing or dancing, the use of SIA staff. This is not an exhaustive list.

Repopening your business after 12 April 2021

We recently wrote to businesses with advice on the changes to Covid restrictions from 12 April 2021:

Reopening your hospitality business

Hospitality Update Letter April 2021

Examples of what is outdoors and what is not

Reopening of hospitality businesses FAQ

Reopening your close contact business (personal services such as hairdressers, tattooists, skin piercers etc)

Close Contact Update Letter April 2021

Health & Safety

We continue to monitor and review the accident reporting system (RIDDOR,) and will investigate serious incidents and infectious disease. For the latest information about working safely during the coronavirus (COVID-19).


Whilst the installation of noise monitoring equipment has been suspended, we will respond to complaints about nuisance but we would remind people that ordinary human activity is not going to constitute a statutory nuisance e.g. voices, shouting, bonfires, etc. There is a need for greater tolerance of others during this crisis and we strongly recommend you be supportive and understanding of your neighbours

Dog Warden service

The Dog Warden service will remain operational but owners should ensure their dogs don’t get out.

Planning & Pollution

WRS has issued specific advice in relation to the production of noise assessments in support of planning applications  during the lockdown period. For further details please follow the link to our Pollution (and Planning) web pages.


WRS email and telephone remain open. Please email or call 01905 822799 if you have a query.